Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Jamaican me crazy!






Ok, bad title. It's all I could come up with. Forgive me.


But I'll make it up to you with letting you in on a little known secret in DC; Negril. Negril is one of the very few authentic Jamaican restaurants in the greater DC area. A fixture in the DC area since the 80's, Negril offers fast, affordable and absolutely delicious Caribbean treats.

If you've never had Jamaican food, you're really missing out. A strange cross between Latin, Caribbean and Soul food, the flavors meld into some of the most flavorful dishes I've ever had.

I always start with one of their beef patties. Flaky pastry on the outside, spicy meaty goodness on the inside. Next up? Fricassee Chicken. Chicken that is fried then stewed in a tomato based sauce served with rice and peas. Oh. My. God. I could eat this every day. Seriously. Still hungry? Looking for something you can eat on the go? Try the Jamaican Jerk chicken sandwich. The only thing it's missing is a warm beach and a six pack of Red Stripe beer.

Misses? There are a few. The Ox Tail Stew is rich but unbalanced. The veggie pattie isn't bad, but compared to the beef pattie it's certainly lacking.

Finally, not being much of a fish guy, I can't vouch for this personally. But apparently their seafood dishes are their best. So it looks as though some return trips may be in order.

Overall, highly recommended. Cheap (entrees between $6-$12, seafood may be slightly higher), generous portions, and great flavors. I just wish I had some of that Jamaican weather right about now...


Negril - Silver Spring
965 Thayer Ave.
Silver Spring, MD
(301) 585-3000
Monday-Saturday 11am-9:30pm
Friday til 10pm
Closed Sunday

Located in the heart of Silver Spring off Georgia Avenue, 2 blocks from the Metro.

No comments:

Post a Comment