Friday, February 26, 2010

How I celebrate St. Patty's Day, DC style!

Last fall, along with 6 of my best duders, I went to Dublin, Ireland for my buddy Doug's bachelor party. We set out for four days of drinking, laughing and general tomfoolery. It just so happened that we arrived there the same day as Arthur's Day (250th anniversary of Guinness, which was about the biggest party Dublin has ever seen). As I was guzzling pint after pint Temple Bar and singing drinking songs with the locals I thought to myself how cool it is to experience a party like this. Dublin has Arthur's Day, Munich has Oktoberfest, Tennessee has Bonaroo, New Orleans has Mardi Gras, Brazil has Carnival…and DC? Well we have ShamrockFest.

The first time I came to DC to visit was for Shamrockfest. This was back in 2006 when it was still being held near the Ballston Commons Mall. My friends Doug and Ben had an apartment overlooking the festival so they naturally got a keg and threw a little pre/post game party at their apartment and invited me down from Cleveland.

I was not disappointed. The weather was fantastic (low 70's) and though we didn't make it down to Shamrockfest for a long time, it was still a pretty amazing time. It's seriously the biggest party I had ever been to.

Now, the best thing I discovered at Shamrockfest that is the VIP passes. Not only do you get all-you-can-drink beer, which is a complete steal, but you also get access to private stages and way better bathrooms. Trust me, the bathrooms alone are worth the few extra dollars you pay. These days it might be hard to justify the extra expense, but you'll thank me later. Just make sure you buy them in advance ($79 vs. the $129 at the gate).

National ShamrockFest 2010 features over 40 amazing Bands and DJs on a 10 stages (this year’s line-up will blow you away), plus roving entertainers, endless beer stations, food and craft vendors, an Irish Village, Shamrock Pub Games, carnival rides & games, massive tented and open areas, and much, much more. And since this is the TENTH anniversary of ShamrockFest they're making some major additions, including the Men's and the Women's Irish Football National Championship Tournament (being played right at ShamrockFest), and the Chest Bump Against Cancer (we will be setting a world record with this event and raising money for Susan G Komen Global Race For The Cure at the same time), and much more. http://ShamrockFest.com

See you kids there!

Crowd surfing optional:


No comments:

Post a Comment