Monday, March 8, 2010

Yo Fro Yo

Like most men, sometimes, I can be such a little kid. I still love going to amusement parks, I become giddy at the thought of buying new toys and still like going out for ice cream. Actually, any frozen treat will usually fit the bill and recently, my icy drug of choice has been frozen yogurt.

I love it's tangy, tart flavor, the mild sweetness and, of course, the bountiful choice of toppings usually available. Plus, although it's probably just as bad for you as a pint of Ben and Jerry's, it FEELS like it's healthier (ah, the bliss of implied healthiness and ignorance).

So yesterday Girlfriend and I are in Chinatown running errands and nursing a pair of hangovers. We sat down for some lunch at our favorite spot down there, Chinatown Garden. Something about wonton soup always makes my hangovers feel better.

Afterward, since we were already nearby, we decided to pop into American Apparel to grab a few new fresh tees. When we arrived we saw that American Apparel had themselves a new neighbor:




"oooohhh... herrrow!"

Frozen yogurt? Self serve? Count me in!


Now, I wasn't thinking about frozen yogurt until I saw the sign. I was actually a little full from lunch and my hangover wasn't quite gone all the way. We went into American Apparel, got our stuff and by the time we checked out we had talked ourselves into walking next door to... ya know, just check it. I mean, we weren't going to actually get any. We just wanted to see what the place was all about.

So 15 minutes later I'm in the car finishing my giant cup of tasty yogurt and thinking about how persuasive the power of frozen yogurt can be. :)

Although I've had better frozen yogurt (ahem, Pinkberry!), FroZen Yo's is pretty good. And their selection of flavors is pretty impressive. Their selection of toppings is also impressive with everything from gigantic blackberries to Captain Crunch, everyone is sure to find something (or things) they like. And since you aren't limited in the number toppings you can add (unlike most other places that charge you for additional toppings) you'll be able to make your yogurt treat as unique as you want it to be.

With frozen yogurt being all the rage right now, these kinds of shops are popping up everywhere. I think FroZen Yo does a pretty good job of setting themselves apart with their selection of rotating flavors (16 I believe), self-service (you pay by the lb) and friendly staff. The design store is clean and modern, if not a little generic. But I have to wonder how well they'll be able to handle the mobs of tourists that will surely descend on them in the summertime. Hopefully I'm wrong, but I predict long waits when the mercury starts rising.

One omission I would like to point out is the lack of Fruity Pebbles. Come on FroZen Yo, get your head in the game. You can't sell frozen yogurt and not give a man his Fruity Pebbles! What is the world coming to!?


FroZen Yo

1006 F St NW; 202.347.1313

No comments:

Post a Comment