Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Prince of Persia

I hated my last job.  While I actually enjoyed the people I worked with, the work itself was soul crushing and awful.  Maybe not so much the fault of the employer as it was the fault of the employee for not doing something he was really passionate about.  This has since changed and I'm doing work I truly enjoy.  One fond memory I will always have from my last job was a secret treasure hidden across the street known as Shamshiry.


Shamshiry is a Persian restaurant probably best known for their humongous portions of rice that accompany their dishes.  When I say humongous, I mean FRICKIN' HUMONGOUS!


Not only are the portions large, they're incredibly tasty too.  The kabobs are cooked and seasoned to perfection.  The rice is butter and savory and yet, at the same time, light and fluffy.   If you're a repeat customer you may even get a little but of the crusted rice from the bottom of the pan (absolutely amazing).


While the kabobs are my favorite, the menu is full of delectable items for you to explore.  And they do a terrific job of explaining each item and making it sound irresistible.  Example:


Chelo Kabob Kubideh
Kabob is the Persian word for meat or fowl cooked over a charcoal fire. There delicious strips of charcoal broiled ground meat are served with a snowy mound of rice topped with saffron. All the beef dishes achieve greatness when you add a raw egg yolk on the side, which you rapidly pour into the hot rice, continuing to toss it so that the egg coats all the grains as the heat cooks it. Stir in as much butter as you dare, and sprinkle in the brown powdered sumac that’s in a shaker on the table. Its tart spiciness is irresistible.


I mean, doesn't that just make you want to eat your screen!?  Whatever you decide upon, pony up for some of their fragrant hot Persian tea.  It really completes the experience and may help stave off the rice induced coma later...


Shamshiry Chelo Kabob
8607 Westwood Center Drive
Tyson's Corner, Virginia 22182
  (703) 448-8883     


 

No comments:

Post a Comment